Life

Life
Life happens when your planning it

Monday, May 18, 2015

Movie Review "Fed UP"





Summarization of the film 

It's not a pretty picture. Since 1980, we've doubled our sugar intake, seen an epidemic of Type II diabetes and watched overweight kids ascend from the exception to the norm – all thanks to processed foods. Fed Up is not a sermon, it's a wake-up call. As the film makes alarmingly clear from interviews with dietitians, doctors, and even former President Bill Clinton, exercise is far from the cure-all. Few workout regimens, including Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" program, get at the root of the problem – that exercise without diet won't get you very far. Another myth busted is the panacea of low-fat foods. Here's just one dirty little secret: as fat is removed from food products the manufacturers replace it with sugar to improve the taste and keep us all addicted. Junk food = junkie America. Why does this happen? Let's start with collusion. David and her team have a two-headed Goliath to battle in the form of the feds and the food industry. With fat profits come political influence, which means processed foods and expanding waistlines will be here to stay unless we all get mad as hell and refuse to take it anymore. Fed Up, unbothered by its often crude mode of attack, is definitely mad as hell. And its muckraking spirit, an anomaly in the age of giving in, is inspiring. The filmmakers wisely and powerfully focus on the children who fall victim to the system's emaciated values. Fed Up has a fire in its belly to change things. Naïve? Maybe. So what. I say, Godspeed. Here is something rare at the multiplex: a movie that matters.
What does sugar do in our body?
As your take in refined carbohydrates the body instantaneously stores then as fat, while the liver and the kidneys take a hard hit trying figure out what to do with it in the body.  The mind craves sugar like a drug, it is highly addictive, the same exact physiologic pleasure responses that occur to a cocaine addict. Sugar is the cause of most noncommunicable chronic disease problems that are killing most Americans such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, obesity, and cancer.  

What can I do after viewing this video to improve my overall diet?
After viewing this eye opening documentary, I have been extremely conscious about reading food labels to see how much sugar, or if there is added sugar in the ingredients.  If there is an obscene amount of sugar and added sugar, I choose not to consume it.  I am sticking to more nature foods with natural no added sugars to them, such as whole fruits and veggies.  I am also drinking only water, the occasional coffee while allowing myself 1 sugar in the raw packet, while not drinking any fruit juice or sodas.  I am also consuming  raw nuts, veggies, lean meats, and no sugar added dried fruits. Meal preparation is key, when meals and a plan is schedule a head of time before I get hungry I am less likely to consume foods that contain a lot of sugar or that are unhealthy.  This plan will ensure that I am consistent in choosing healthy foods with no added sugars that could lead to chronic diseases as I age.  

No comments:

Post a Comment